So while we've been trying to save money on groceries lately, I haven't really been able to buy any - it isn't exactly cheap unless you buy the no-name variety, which just does not taste as good!
So I decided to go ahead and try it myself one night when I was getting to the end of our grocery supply the day before our shopping day :)
And it came out really great! I was surprised, especially since I didn't have any real cheese, just cheese slices! (But you can use real cheese too!)
So here it is....
Homemade Rose Pasta Sauce
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup cheese or 3 cheese slices
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp margarine or butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 onion, minced or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp basil
- In a fry-pan on medium heat, melt 1 tsp margarine or butter. Cook garlic and onion until soft.
- Add diced or crushed tomatoes and cook until tender about 10 min.
- Blend up in blender, making sure everything is completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a separate pan on low-medium heat, melt remaining margarine or butter. Add in flour.
- Quickly stir flour with butter while pouring in milk very slowly, making sure to completely dissolve the flour mixture. Add more milk if desired for a smoother consistency. (If it seems lumpy, just keep stirring - it will turn out! :)
- Add cheese, continue cooking until cheese is melted, then pour in blended tomato mixture.
- Add Basil and salt, and some pepper to taste and cook on low heat for about 5 more minutes for flavor to seep in.
That's it! Wayyyy cheaper and honestly yummier than store-bought!
I had dishes that were licked clean that night :) Can't wait to make it again!
Hope you enjoy it!
- Debbie Jean